Welcome to the Home Page of WHDLoad, the AmigaOS
Harddisk-Install package. WHDLoad makes it possible to install quite a lot
demos and games, which were originally designed to run only from floppy
disks, to your harddisk.
There are different versions of the WHDLoad package. The USR package
contains the documentation and all programs which are required to use
WHDLoad installs. The DEV package contains all files from the
USR package plus addtional programs, sources and support files.
The DEV package is the right choice if you want to create
installs for yourself. The USR small package contains a reduced
set of documentation languages (only DE, EN, ES, FR, IT and PL). Besides
that it is identical to the USR package.
The packages are provided in LhA and LZX (requires
this Y2K fix!)
- 2022-10-05 updated: Venom Wing (Thalamus/SoftEyes) default quitkey changed (Info)
- 2022-10-05 improved: Stormball (Millennium) new imager, 68000 quitkey, new icons and install script (Info)
- 2022-10-05 fixed: Harricana (Loriciel) access fault removed, new icons (Info)
- 2022-10-05 improved: Armalyte (Thalamus) splash window config, 68000 quitkey, new imager, manual added (Info)
- 2022-10-03 improved: Workbench 3.1 (CBM) minor fixes (Info)
- 2022-10-03 improved: Workbench 1.3 (Amiga Inc.) minor fixes (Info)
- 2022-10-01 improved: Turrican 2 (Factor 5/Rainbow Arts) 3-button joystick support (Info)
- 2022-10-01 improved: The Quest For The Time Bird / Auf der Suche nach dem Vogel der Zeit / La quête de l'oiseau du temps (Infogrames) support for Italian version added (Info)
- 2022-10-01 improved: Obitus (Psygnosis) fixed 68000 problems, hints added (Info)
- 2022-09-28 improved: Joe & Mac (Caveman Ninja) (Data East) interrupts fixed, manual protection correctly removed (Info)
- 2022-09-27 improved: Venom Wing (Thalamus/SoftEyes) rewritten, 68000 quitkey, ssp relocated, load/save to external file, uses less chip memory, new install script (Info)
- 2022-09-27 improved: Tip Off (ANCO) rewritten, fixed freeze on title screen, keyboard fixed, manual added, new install script (Info)
- 2022-09-27 improved: Purple Saturn Day (Exxos) fixed to run on NTSC, fixed some random crashes (Info)
- 2022-09-27 fixed: Ooops Up (Demonware) crash of second version on 68000 fixed (Info)
- 2022-09-22 new: Emetic Skimmer (Kingsoft) done by Psygore (Info)
- 2022-09-22 improved: Ooops Up (Demonware) source code and SMC fix rewritten, slave v1.1 patch added for the both game versions (Info)
Currently in work
the following demos and games are currently in work and may be
finished/released in some time
- Alfabet Smierci ECS (Arte), start 2020-11-09 Asman
- Allo Allo (Alternative Software), Supporting 2nd version 2022-04-20 DJ Mike
- Armalyte (Thalamus), 99% Complete 2021-04-24 Abaddon
- Armalyte (1991 Thalamus), RAWDIC used, patchlist, trainer, ExitKey, CUSTOM to remove Blitter Delay insertion (100% to release) 2022-10-03 CFou!
- Bermuda Project (Mirrorsoft), 95% complete (testing game - lots of faults!) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Bubble Ghost (Accolade), 99% complete (install script to finish) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Centerbase: Science-Fiction Simulation (reLINE), 50% complete, removing OS stuff 2021-03-23 Psygore
- Chambers Of Shaolin CDTV (Thalion), 80% complete (halted) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Champion of the Raj (P.S.S.), 80% complete, protection needs to be disabled 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Das Stundenglas (Software 2000), 90% finished, playtesting to do (protection needs to appear) and install package to do 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Delirium (Complex), 50% complete, Zoomlens and Endpart left to fix 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Demolition (Anco/Kingsoft), 90% Complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- Dragon Lord (Palace Software), 80% Complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- Dragons of Flame (SSI), 80% complete 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Drip (Art Skiles), Looking into speed issue 2022-04-20 DJ Mike
- Face Off (1989 Anco), 99% protection removed to test & package to do 2022-10-03 CFou!
- Footman (Topdown Development), 85% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Fort Apache (Impressions), 85% complete 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Gazza's Super Soccer (Empire), 70% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Hammerfist (Vivid), CD32 pad controls, minor clean-up, v17 custom controls 50% 2013-07-05 Hungry Horace
- Hardwired (TSL/Crionics), 40% complete, complete rework, problem with black screen in glenz vector part finally fixed! 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Hoi (Hollyware), 50% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- International Soccer Challenge (MicroStyle), 60% complete 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Joan of Arc (Chip), 95% finished, bitplane wipe effect doesn't appear and needs to be fixed other than that the patch is finished 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Legend (Mindscape), Massive clean-up, fixes, CD32 controls etc 10% 2013-07-05 Hungry Horace
- MegArts Hockey (MegArts), 70% complete (translations need adjusting compared to Cross Check) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Micro League Wrestling (Microleague), 5 % complete, just started 2021-01-03 Puppe
- Moebius Goatlizard (Black Jet), 70% complete (programmer is releasing a new version shortly based on bugs found while writing the install) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Reach for the Skies (Rowan/Virgin), 90% complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- S.D.I. (Activision), 95% complete (packaging and icons to do) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Screaming Wings (Red Rat), 90% complete (speed-up/slow down problems) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Shadow of the beast (Reflexion), dissociated JoyUp/Second button to jump 2022-10-03 CFou!
- Snakes (Victrix), 95 % complete, need beta tester 2021-01-03 Puppe
- Space Ranger, 90% complete 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Speed (Sim Prod.), 95% finished, timing problems to fix (needs to be slowed down to disk speed) 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Stadt der Löwen (Software 2000), 90% complete, CDTV version to support, gfx bug in title screen to fix 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Starflight 2 (Electronic Arts), 80% complete, testing and install package to do 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Steve Davis World Snooker (Artworx), 90% complete, needs 1MB at the moment due to memory allocation bugs 2022-06-01 StingRay
- SWOS (Sensible Software), 99% Complete - Enhancements and updates 2021-04-24 Galahad
- T-Zer0 (clickBOOM), 80% complete, supports game version and another demo version, patching all OS access 2021-03-23 Psygore
- TFX (DID), 95% complete FPU version to adapt to 040/060 if doable 2021-01-01 JOTD
- The Scene 2 (Abel), 60% complete (fixing keyboard handler) 2021-04-24 Dr Cinicus
- Turbo Trax (Microdeal), 95% complete (seems to play by itself!) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Venom Wings, change defaut EXitKey (Down Cursor by error..) (done to release) 2022-10-03 CFou!
- Vision (Oxygene), 80% finished, now fixing the "french way of demo coding" (TM), i.e. fixing lots and lots of annoying SMC 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Whale's Voyage (Neo), 50% (CD32 version working) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Willow (Mindscape), 20% complete, unplayable without Preload, too many OS swaps 2022-06-01 StingRay
- Wiz N Liz (Psygnosis), Adding trainers, 2nd button support, more blitwaits 2022-04-20 DJ Mike
- Wizard Warz (GO! (U.S. Gold)), 20% Complete - Lots of access faults 2021-04-24 Abaddon
- Z-Out (Rainbow Arts), 95% complete (support for MFM) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Zarathrusta (Hewson), 45% Complete (CD32 pad support) 2021-04-24 Abaddon
WHDLoad install authors are looking for the following ORIGINALS to
create or improve an install for it. If you own one of these games,
please contact the person given by the underlying link or
Please note that it is usually not required that you ship your
disks or cd's, because nearly all can be done via email.
Check here for more infos concerning creating and
sending images to install authors (thanks to
Codetapper for writing this text).
If the install does not work?
First, don't panic, don't swear at the install, don't swear at WHDLoad
and don't flame at forums or comp.sys.*.*. It's usually the fault of
the games or demos if they do not work and the install tries their best
to make them working on all hardware setups.
In fact all installs are written to work with an ORIGINAL,
that means that the install will usually not work with versions which has been
altered in any way.
Before sending a bug report, try yourself to solve the
problem. There are various things you can do:
Although all installs are tested before public release, a bug might have
escaped unnoticed. If you think you discovered a bug, write a detailed
report of your problem to the author of the install. For this use the
bug report form which can be accessed if you click on the author on the
download pages. Or submit a report in the
Mantis Bugtracker. Try to report your problem accurate. If you get an error
requester by WHDLoad please also make a CoreDump (just press the CoreDump
button on the requester WHDLoad shows) and attach the .whdl_register
file to the issue made in the Mantis Bugtracker.
Problems reported via the form on the download pages will be imported some days
later to the Mantis Bugtracker.
During that process an user account for the reporter will be created (if
not already present). All further communication regarding the report
should then happen via the bug tracker so that the relevant informations
can be preserved.
- check the version of the install and WHDLoad, make sure that you are
using the latest versions of both, many installs require the latest
WHDLoad version, also installs will be updated from time to time - so
check if there is an new one available
- check the Tooltypes (or the options if started from the CLI/Shell), many
things can be adjusted setting Tooltypes, there is hardware which requires that
you set the correct Tooltypes, maybe your system is to fast - so set NoCache, some games
are working only under PAL or NTSC - so try the Tooltypes PAL and NTSC, some extra
hardware creates at random interrupts which confuses the installed games/demo -
so try Tooltype NoAutoVec,
sometimes also the Tooltypes NoResInt and NoMMU may help
- read the readme or other documentation supplied with the
install, it often contains important information concerning the install,
its using and its limitations
Please note: if the authors aren't informed about bugs they can't correct them.
Note also, that the reasons for problems are often an different
version of the game/demo. Many commercial games have been sold in more
than one version (full-price-release, budget-re-release,
coverdisk-release, PAL/NTSC version, ...). Of course a install can only
work if it has been written for the version you have. If you have a
different version of the same game, it won't work. In that case, you
have to contact the author of the install and ask him to support your
If you have a general problem with WHDLoad or in the case that a lot
of installs are not working correctly, please submit a report for WHDLoad in the
Choose WHDLoad as the project and include you system environment specification
as best as possible.
Best viewed with any Browser. If you have problems, suggestions, new slaves
please contact me.
last change : 2022-10-05
© 1996-2022 Bert Jahn, All Rights Reserved