Short: HD Installer for Kid Chaos ECS/CD32
Author: DJ Mike (email@example.com), ICQ: 35028461
Uploader: DJ Mike (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Requires: WHDLoad 14, 1024k chip mem
This patch applies to "Kid Chaos" (c) 1994 Ocean/Magnetic Fields
You will need the 4 original disks or the CD32 edition.
Alternatively cracked versions are likely to work, but I offer
- Slave requires WHDLoad V14+. Register WHDLoad and support it!
- Disk version requires 1024k chip mem
(+2.8MB other memory for preload option)
- CD32 edition requires AGA, 2048k chip mem and at least MC68020
(+5.8MB other memory for preload option)
- Loads fully from HD
- Quit to workbench at any time (Default key: F10)
- Rob Northen Copylock removed (primitive usage!)
- Decompression moved to fast mem if available for faster loading
- Uses custom depacker to unpack the files from disk
- Copper list fixes
- Icons included (made by Captain HIT and Frank)
- v1.0 Initial release
- CD32 JST/WHDLoad releases by Dr.Zarkov with additional support by JOTD
(see the old ReadMe in the LZX archive for more information)
- I might extend the custom unpacker to decompress the game's data
files, but to be honest the performance gain is minimal (decrunching
doesn't take that long at load time) - and it takes up twice as much
- Enter HARDASNAILS (Hard As Nails) on the password screen to enable
a cheat options menu
- Enter ARCADEGAMES (Arcade Games) on the password screen to enable
a menu containing all the end-of-world arcade games
A WORD FROM THE AUTHOR:
I had to write a custom game file unpacker (in lovely assembler :-) hey,
it's the only language I know in-depth on the Amiga!) - the game uses
an unusual file layout to store its data files (inside one big mux'd file)
so I had little choice.
Since I have written this tool from scratch I would advise that if you
experience any problems with it, e-mail me a bug report and I'll look
into it. I've coded it to be quite rigorous with checking for errors
tho, so fingers crossed!
If you have an existing install from the game's own installer, you can copy
the slave file in and move the existing install into a directory called
'data' and it will work - HOWEVER you MUST also copy the files 'kidchaos'
and 'prog' off Disk 1 into the data directory as well (the one the game
installs is different to the one I use!)
Supposedly an AGA version of this game existed on floppy disk, but I never
found it. Dunno what the magazines thought they were reviewing! Apparently
that version ended up purely on CD32.
Greetings to Codetapper, Cfou, Psygore, Wepl, MadMatt, Captain HIT, JOTD,
and all the people who support WHDLoad!
-- DJ Mike (12th November 2005)
Bug report form, full WHDLoad package and other installs:
________ ________ ________ ____ ________ ________
_) \_) \_) \_) \_) \_) \
__ ___ /___/ / /_____/\ / / / / / / /
/_//__// \___ / / /CT\/ / / / / / /
/___/ /___ / / /_____/___ /___/ /___ __
\____/ \____/ \____/ \____/ \____//__//_/
Visit the Action website for more of our productions: