THIS PACKAGE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO USE, RESULTS AND
PERFORMANCE OF THE PACKAGE IS ASSUMED BY YOU AND IF THE PACKAGE SHOULD PROVE
TO BE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR OTHER REMEDIATION.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, CAN THE AUTHOR BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE
CAUSED IN ANY USUAL, SPECIAL, OR ACCIDENTAL WAY, ALSO IF THE OWNER OR A THIRD
PARTY HAS BEEN POINTED AT SUCH POSSIBILITIES OF DAMAGE.
This install applies to "7 Cities Of Gold" © 1985 Ozark Softscape / Electronic Arts.
This install requires WHDLoad and DIC to be in the path. Both can be found in
the WHDLoad package.
To install from a different drive than DF0: select installation mode Expert.
The installed program requires 0.5 MB ChipMem and 0.6 MB OtherMem.
It can be quit by pressing num '*' (key can be changed with Tooltype "QuitKey=").
The game requires an installed A1000 Kickstart 1.1 image.
The kickstart image must be located in the directory "Devs:Kickstarts" and
must be named "kick31034.A1000". The image can be extracted from a A1000 with
tools like 'GrabKick' or similar which can be found on aminet.
If the image is of wrong version or altered in any way WHDLoad will quit with
an appropriate requester.
Additionally the file "kick31034.A1000.RTB" must be installed in the same
directory as the kickstart image. It can be normally found in the archive
"util/boot/skick346.lha" on aminet, except that this time the .RTB file was
specially created for this installer, so you'll find it in the package.
If you have problems with this installation please try and get a newer
version of this package from the WHDLoad WWW-Page. If that doesn't help try
some Tooltypes like NOCACHE, NOAUTOVEC, NOVBRMOVE, NOMMU, PAL or NTSC. If
that also fails, please inform the author via the Bug-Report-Form which
can be accessed on the WHDLoad WWW-Page.
For the full WHDLoad package, other installs and updates refer to:
version 2.1 (11.06.2022) done by JOTD:
- fixed issue for 68000/68010 machines (issue #0005683)
- renamed kickstart file from 31340 to 31034.
version 2.0 (05.06.2022) done by JOTD:
- switching to kick 1.1 (after writing it :)) fixed most
graphical & color bugs
- fixed issue #0000860
- fixed issue #0000904
- fixed issue #0001959
- adapted to whdload v17. It's possible to select the savedisk from
splash screen now.
- requires A1000 31.34 ROM now. I can't distribute it, even if it is
super old and buggy.
version 1.1 (13.02.2005)
- fixed ship position (ship gfx is still a bit wierd due to wrong palette)
version 1.0 (20.12.2004) done by JOTD:
- initial release
- fixed broken graphics.library 1.1 stuff (triggered access fault)
- removed exec.FreeMem() call which crashed right at the start
- fixed MOVE SR,Dx calls on 68010+ (locks up a 68010+ with KickEmu)
- fixed wrong clearmem loops which broke system memory lists
- joystick port swapped from mouse port to usual joystick port
(I don't think there are some A1000 users running WHDLoad, but otherwise tell me)
- disks swaps handled -> games are saved/loaded from HD
(Use CUSTOM1=x where x is the suffix of "disk.x" save diskfile, default is 2)
- disk protection removed
- nice icon by Exoticons
- source code included
- hintfile included
When saving/loading games, you can use CUSTOM1 to set the index of the save disk.
If not set, disk.2 is assumed. If the file does not exist, create it using the game
options (make historical disk or create another world). If you start the game
and the save disk does not exist you're thrown out back to WB with a message
Beware of overwriting your save disks. Use CUSTOM1=3 for "another world" for instance.
If you had an old map disk and you want to use it, just use DIC to create a disk image,
and copy it in the installed game directory as "disk.2".
A simpler process applies to savegame disk images (retrieved from a website for instance):
Just name them "disk." and copy them in the installed game directory.
I've been trying to fix this one for ages! I remember Gerald Yuen sending me a copy
of his disk in 1995 for me to fix it!! Of course, protected track was not properly
copied so it would not have worked, but that was the easiest thing to fix after all!
It took almost 10 years to come up with a working fix for WHDLoad (actually I seriously
started the work in april 2002 after having successfully fixed Archon & other EOA stuff)
The game did not even work on a 68010+ or with kickstart above 1.1 for various reasons:
- MOVE SR,Dx
- broken FreeMem
- write leak on a loop -> memory lists damaged -> no alloc possible
- graphics lib mishandling
- ship bad location (ViewPort/Sprite problem?)
You see it was a tough one. I hope you'll appreciate the effort.
Thanks go to:
- Denis Lechevallier for IPF image
- Some German user (who will recognise himself) & Gerald for sending a copy of the disk
- The CAPS/SPS team for debug logs (wasn't of any use this time but who knows?) and for
the CAPS/SPS format I could test the game with.
- Bert for KickEmu & WHDLoad (still some small bugs but we're managing through them :) )
- Tim Ruehsen for IRA disassembler
- Hidehiko & TjLazer for reporting the ship position bug
- Tony Wilen & all UAE team for WinUAE, without which this install would not have appeared
(checked with CAPS image on Kickstart 1.1 to see how it behaved and to calibrate ship position)
- support another version (maybe)
Final (?) notes:
- Despite all the efforts trying to fix a 1985 A1000 game for 1.3 kickstart,
this game was just impossible to fix properly because it just was too
old even for kickstart 1.2. So the only solution that worked to fix all
the color/position/other bugs was to create a kickstart emulation for
ROM 1.1 including the .RTB file (which wasn't a piece of cake). Now the game
runs without any issues.
- The kickstart ROM required to make this game run is not as common as others.
It's also illegal to share/download and I doubt most of you have A1000s to dump
the ROM from, but yes, google is your friend to find all amiga roms...